Welcome to London's History
_HOMEPAGE_TOPICS_DOWNLOADS
    create an account |
_USERACCOUNT_SUBMITNEWS_SHOWTOP  
Theme by www.UserWear.de


Discover the great, the strange, the seedy, the inspired, the criminal and the downright ordinary past of one of the World's Greatest Cities!

SITE MAP




· Home

Modules
· AvantGo
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Members List
· News
· Recommend Us
· Reviews
· Search
· Sections
· Stats
· Topics
· Top List
· Web Links



The Special Sections are only available to registered users. Login or register for free here.
ENGLAND
Samuel Pepys
Elizabeth I
London's Underworld
Fleet Marriages.
The Cries of London
Updated.




London, thou art of townes a per se

-- Anonymous 16th century



We have 66 guests and 0 members online

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here


London's ChurchesLondon's Medi val Parish Churches: Part 2 - From Cornhill to the Walbrook
Posted on Jun 08, 2002 - 11:35 AM by Bill McCann

The Medi val London skyline was dominated by church spires. There were 126 parish churches crammed into the "Square Mile" in the 12th century. By the 14th century the number had been reduced to 110. This is the last in a series of four articles which provides a brief description and history of each medi val parish church. Where possible the dates of foundation or the date of the first documentary reference are given. The dates of destruction, reconstruction and suppression, where appropriate, are given for each parish church. These articles are the prologue to a more comprehensive coverage of the individual parish churches which will follow later in the year.



The Church was one of the most important agencies in the shaping and characterisation of medi val London. Not only was London the seat of an important Bishopric but it also had a large number of wealthy monasteries, friaries and nunneries within the City walls or just outside. And it had more than 100 Parish Churches. The panorama of the city above shows how in 1611, the skyline was dominated by church spires. This series of articles lists the Medi val parish churches whose names are known to us. For each is given the common name used today together with the original or alternative names where applicable, the date of its original foundation if known, its location and the dates of reconstruction and/or destruction. For ease of future reference, the churches are numbered consecutively from east to west. Detailed descriptions of individual churches will follow in later articles. There are links to other articles in the series at the end of the article.

A: Churches within the Walls

From Cornhill to The Walbrook
St Benet
28. St Benet Fink
Situated Threadneedle Street.
First mentioned in 1216.
Repaired in 1633 but destroyed in 1666.
Rebuilt by Wren in 1670-81.
Demolished 1842-4.
The parish was united with St Peter le Poer in 1842
United with St Michael Cornhill in 1906

29. St Margaret New Fish Street.
Also St Margaret Bridge.
Situated Fish Street Hill.
Destroyed by the Great Fire (which started close) by and not rebuilt
The parish was united with St Magnus the Martyr in 1670.




St Edmund The King And Martyr

30. St Edmund The King And Martyr
Situated: Lombard Street.
Founded in the 12th century.
Destroyed in the Great Fire.
Rebuilt by Wren and Hooke in 1670-9.
The spire was completed in 1708.

31. St Magnus The Martyr
Also St Magnus Bridge.
Situated Lower Thames Street.
First mentioned in 1067.
Destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren 1671-6.
The steeple was added in 1705.
The roof was replaced after a fire in 1760.
The vestries were replaced in 1762.





St Clement Eastcheap

32. St Clement Eastcheap

Situated: King William Street.
First mentioned in the 11th century.
Repaired in 1632.
Destroyed in 1666.
Rebuilt by Wren 1683-7.
There was some drastic refurbishment and reorganisation of the interior in 1872.
Badly damaged in 1940.





St Michael Crooked Lane

33. St Michael Crooked Lane.
Situated King William Street EC3.
First mentioned in 1271 and extended in the 14th century.
Destroyed in 1666 and rebuilt by Wren in 1684-9.
Demolished in 1831.
The Parish was united with St Magnus the Martyr 1831.

34. St Bartholomew By The Exchange
Also St Bartholomew the Little, St Bartholomew the Less.
First mentioned in 1150 and rebuilt in 1438.
South chapel added in 1509 and the church was repaired in 1620.
Destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren in 1674-9.
Demolished in 1840-1.
The Parish was united with St Margaret Lothbury 1839.






St Martin Orgar
35. St Martin Orgar
Situated in Martin Lane EC4.
First mentioned in the 12th century.
Destroyed except for part of the nave and the Tower in the Great Fire.
Abandoned by the congregation and rebuilt by French Protestants.
Demolished in 1820.
Tower rebuilt in an Italianate style in 1852 and used as a rectory for St Clements.
The Parish was united with St Clement Eastcheap 1670.

36. St Nicholas Acons.
Situated between Lombard Street and Cannon Street EC4.
Built in 1084 and repaired in 1520.
Destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt.
The Parish was united with St Edmund the King and Martyr 1670.




St Mary Woolnoth
37. St Mary Woolnoth.
Situated: Lombard Street and King William Street EC4.
Said to have been founded by a Saxon prince it was first mentioned in 1273.
Rebuilt in 1442.
Damaged in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren in 1670-7.
Rebuilt by Hawkesmoor 1726-7.
"Restored" in 1875-6 with much damage to interior.

38. St Christopher le Stocks
Also St Christopher upon Cornhill and St Christopher in Bread Street.
Situated Threadneedle Street EC3.
First mentioned 1225 and rebuilt in 1462.
Damaged in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren 1670-6.
Much of the medi val fabric was incorporated by Wren.
Demolished in 1781.
The Parish was united with St Margaret Lothbury 1781.

39. St Mary Abchurch.
Also St Mary Upchurch.
Situated Abchurch Yard, Cannon Street EC4.
Originally 12th century it was destroyed in the Great Fire.
Rebuilt by Wren 1681-87.
Damaged in 1940 and restored after the war.

40. St Laurence Pountney.
Situated in Laurence Pountney Lane EC4.
Also St Laurence next the Thames (1275), St Laurence Candlewigstrate (1277) and St Laurence Lundenstane (1285).
Founded in the 12th century.
Converted into a college by Sir John de Poulteney in 1334. The college was dissolved by Edward VI.
Major repairs were carried out in 1634.
Destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt.
The Parish was united with St Mary Abchurch in 1670

41. St Margaret Lothbury.
Situated: Lothbury EC2.
First mentioned in 1197 and rebuilt in 1440.
Burned down in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren 1686-90.

42. St Swithin London Stone.
Situated in Cannon Street EC4.
Known to have been built/rebuilt in 1420.
Destroyed in 1666 and rebuilt by Wren in1677.
Some of the 15th century materials used by Wren.
Destroyed by bombs in 1940 not rebuilt.
The Parish was united with St Stephen Walbrook 1954

43. St Mary Woolchurch Haw.
Situated on the site of the mansion House EC4 (Plaque).
First mentioned in the 11th century.
It was not destroyed in the Great Fire but was subsequently demolished.
The Parish was united with St Mary Woolnoth 1670.

44. All Hallows The Less.
Situated Upper Thames Street, EC4.
Also All Hallows the Little
First mentioned in 1216.
Destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt.
The Parish was united with All Hallows the Great in 1670.
United with St Michael Paternoster Royal in 1893.


St Mildred Poultry
45. St Stephen Coleman.
Situated Coleman Street EC2.
First mentioned 1214.
Destroyed in 1666 and rebuilt by Wren 1674-6.
Bombed in 1940 and demolished.
The Parish was united with St Margaret Lothbury 1954.

46. St Mildred Poultry.
Situated in Poultry EC4.>Br>First recorded in 1175.
Destroyed in 1666 and rebuilt by Wren 1670-6.
Demolished in 1872.
The Parish was united with St Olave Jewry 1871, St Margaret Lothbury 1886.


All Hallows The Great
47. All Hallows The Great.
Also All Hallows The Hay, All Hallows in La Corderie, All Hallows in the Ropery and All Hallows the More.
Situated Upper Thames Street EC4.
First mentioned in 1235.
Henry VI founded a Grammar School here in 1447.
Rebuilt in 1627-9 but destroyed in 1666.
Rebuilt by Wren in 1677-83.
Tower and north aisle demolished in 1876 (to make way for Queen Victoria Street).Tower and vestry rebuilt on the south side.
These survived when the church was demolished in 1894 but were bombed in 1939.
The Parish was united with St Michael Paternoster Royal 1893.
United with St James Garlickhythe in 1954.


48. St Mary Bothaw.
Also St Mary Boatehaw.
Situated Cannon Street EC4.
Plaque on modern Railway Station.
Destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt.
The Parish was united with St Swithin London Stone 1670.
United with St Stephen Walbrook 1954.


St Stephen Walbrook
49. St Stephen Walbrook.
Situated in Walbrook EC4.
First mentioned in 1096.
Moved from the west bank to the east bank of the Walbrook in 1429-39.
Destroyed in 1666 and rebuilt by Wren 1672-9.
Badly damaged in 1940 but restored.

50. St John The Baptist upon Walbrook
Situated Walbrook EC4.
First mentioned in 1150 and repaired in 1649.
Destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt.
The Parish was united with St Antholin Budge Row 1670.
United with St Mary Aldermary 1873.
United with St Mary le Bow in 1954.




St Olave Old Jewry
51. St Olave Old Jewry.
Also Upwell Old Jewry.
Situated: Poultry EC4. First mentioned in 1181.
Restored in 1608 and again in 1628.
Destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren 1670-6.
It Was restored in 1879 but was demolished in 1888.
Tower survived and was used as a rectory.
The Parish was united with St Margaret Lothbury 1886.


52. All Hallows Grasschurch
Also All Hallows Lombard Street.
First mentioned 1053. Rebuilt 1494-1516, repaired 1622.
Destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren 1686-94.
Parish acquired those of St Benet Gracechurch and St Leonard Eastcheap in 1864,St Dionis Backchurch 1876.
Sold 1937 and demolished 1938, Tower and some contents transferred to All Hallows Twickenham, built with proceeds of sale.
Parish united with St Edmund King & Martyr 1937.

53. St Mary Colechurch.
Situated Poultry EC4.
First mentioned 12th century.
Destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt
The Parish was united with St Mildred Poultry 1670.
United with St Olave Jewry 1871. United with St Margaret Lothbury 1886.

54. St Benet Sherehog.
Situated Bucklesbury EC4.
First mentioned 1111.
Destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt.
The Parish was united with St Stephen Walbrook 1670.

55. St Michael Bassishaw.
Situated Basinghall Street, EC2.
Destroyed in the Great Fire rebuilt by Wren in 1676.
Demolished 1899.
The Parish was united with St Lawrence Jewry 1897.


Find it on the Map









The following looped links will allow you to scroll through the series:

PreviousIntroductionNext





 

· More about London's Churches
· News by Bill McCann




London's Medi val Parish Churches: Part 2 - From Cornhill to the Walbrook | Login/Create an account | 0 Comments
Threshold
Comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.

© 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006. Unless otherwise indicated, all written material on the storyoflondon site is the copyright of Bill McCann. All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters.

Google
 
Web www.storyoflondon.com

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.

This European History Site
is owned by
storyoflondon

If you would like to join this ring
Click Here

[Prev 5][Prev][Next][Random][Next 5] [List]

This web site was made with PostNuke, a web portal system written in PHP. PostNuke is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
You can syndicate our news using the file backend.php